Saturday 21 September 2013

So, what's it all about then?

Multiple daily injections are a pain, sometimes literally, but mostly just from the point of view of carrying stuff around, remembering to do them, doing the carbs to units sums and, occasionally, people giving you funny looks.

I'd heard about pumps and after some research decided that a pump would be good for me.  Specifically it was going to help with the following (in no particular order):


  • Forgetting to inject.  It's rare, but sometimes I'd forget if I'd injected or not.  Then I'd remember that I'd forgotten, or that I might have forgotten.  A bit of a conundrum, do I inject and risk having double what I need or don't and go high?
  • No injections.  Biggie this one, the pump replaces the need for all those injections every day :o)
  • Sports.  Despite not being one, I like acting like a teenager on a bike and doing silly things that can and do make me fall off (and occasionally break things), or just ride somewhere for a few hours.  Problem here is that with Basal (slow acting insulin) and Bolus (fast acting insulin) injections, ideally it requires some preparation in advance.  Reducing the Basal amount  can require that planning to be 24 hours in advance, so you'd reduce it, then it might rain biblically and the ride get called off.  That'll be high BG (Blood Glucose) all day then.
  • Less to carry around.  Don't need to carry the pen and needles as the pump will be attached to me.  Still need to take the meter with me though.
  • Gigs.  I like going to gigs.  Gigs and insulin pens are not happy bedfellows.  This may seem trivial, but hey, it's a solid reason to me!
  • Better control.  Highs are bad for you.  Lows make me feel like crap.  I'd rather not have either thanks, the way the pump delivers should smooth BGs out to much nearer normal levels
  • 'Dawn Phenomenon.  More often than not, I'm a bit high in the mornings when I get up.  The Better control will hopefully deal with this.
  • No more sums.  Believe it or not, when you're 'low' doing the sums (in my case 1.5u of fast acting insulin to 10g of carbs consumed) can be bloody difficult to work out if your a bit low.  Add in corrections (less or more on top of the 1.5 x 10) and sometimes I may as well just get a random number generator

There are some other reasons as well, but they ^ are the main ones

I won't go into details about how pumps work, etc as many people have already done this.  Have a look at the Diabetes UK Website to get started

Anyway, I'd made up my mind, and luckily my Diabetes clinic and Primary Care Trust agreed and a pump was funded.



No comments:

Post a Comment